Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Friends are Kisses Blown to Us...

I've been thinking a lot lately about friends and what that word means...what is my definition of friendship? I have a lot of different kinds of friends...some that I've had for a long time that I don't talk to very often but when we do get on the phone with each other we can talk for hours and it's like no time has passed at all. This is Kendal. Kendal is one of my best friends from high school. We were best friends and we dated boys that were best friends. Kendal and I played basketball together and I love her a lot. She is always there even now when we only talk every couple of months. If I have something I need to talk about and I don't know who to call I can call Kendal and I know she gets it.
Then there is Leah: Leah and I used to spend every weekend at each others houses. We played soccer together and literally were together all the time. We scheduled our classes in high school so that we would have them together. She went to UNCW for college and I went to NC State and now UNCC and we rarely talk on the phone but we see each other over almost every break from school and when we do talk we have the same friendship we had five years ago in high school and it's refreshing to know that we are still there for each other.
Then there are the friends that you see everyday and so you have a different dimension of friendship when it comes to these people.
My Sister: I live with my sister and so I see her everyday and she is my best friend. She knows everything that happens on a day to day basis and is there to tell me what she things about things.
Jordan is a really strong person that I look up to (literally and figuratively). When I'm in a bad mood she can make me laugh, when I'm upset, she's who I want here to talk to about it. The best thing about Jordan is that she is family and so she will always be there.
My parents:As I have gotten older my parents have become some of my best friends. I feel comfortable saying whatever I want to to them and when I'm having a bad day I'll call them because my dad will tell my it's out of my control anyway and my mom will give me every reason that she can think of for me to not be upset about whatever it is. They also encourage me when I want something, like changing my major 3 times and transferring schools and even my decision to move to Utah a few months ago. They want what's best for me and I want what is best for them too.
My boyfriend: Jake is pretty much the sweetest person that I know. It blows my mind sometimes when I realize over and over again that what he wants the most is for me to be happy and he makes it very obvious. I think that it's incredible how sure and steady he is about things, especially us because I don't tend to have a lot of faith in relationships. I know that I can talk to him about anything and that even if he doesn't totally understand he'll let me get it out and say what he can to try to make me feel better or gain a new perspective on something. It also seems to come really easy to Jake to tell me how he feels especially when it's about me, and I admire that because I don't always have the easiest time talking about how I feel. He makes it a little easier though because he really listens and takes it in and respects and understands how I feel about everything.I think it's really cute that he knows, to the day, how long we've been dating and that he gets excited to play the Rite Aid game of life with me, and how he wants to win the convertible as the grand prize because I told him I would marry him next month if he did. I like that he wants me to come to his basketball games and family dinners. I like that he says he lives Grey's Anatomy and he understands the importance of being home by nine on Sundays to watch Desperate Housewives. I like that he lets me pluck his eyebrows and cut his hair. I like that he surprised me with flowers because I had a bad day at work. I like the way he wants to spend all his time with me and how I know he's the best guy I've ever dated and that he treats me better then anyone else ever has.
Laura: Laura is my cousin. I love Laura to pieces! She is just a sweetheart. She is always looking out for other people and calculating how her actions will affect those around her. She is hardworking and dedicated to everything that she does. She lives in Utah and I got to spend a weekend with her back in October and she is such an example of everything that is good. She concentrates on positive in life and often times I concentrate on the negative so when I start to do that I try to think of Laura and what she would say about things. Also with Laura are Steve and Melanie, I just don't have a picture of them. Steve and Melanie are some of the most generous people that I know. They are welcoming and warm. I can talk to them about anything and they are so open to anything I have to say. I just love them and their family and can't wait to spend the summer with them!
Russo: That's right, Russo is my family's dog. She is one of my favorite friends because she is always so happy to see me. It could be because I always feed her sandwich meat when I'm at home but I think it's more then that. I never have to question how Russo feels, she always meets me at the door with her tail wagging or she sits in front of me and puts her paw on my leg. I really do think that Russo is smart and sometimes really do expect her to talk back to me, I know she understands how the people in my family feel and she is an exceptional part of our family.
This is just a quick snapshot of the most important people in my life right now, there are many more and maybe I'll add another post that includes them because that people in our lives make us who we are.

1 comment:

  1. Good choices :)

    hahahaha...you are so crazy...I am still laughing about what you said about Russo. I let her read this post and I'm pretty sure that when she did she thought, "I would love anyone who petted me and gave me sandwich meat" or maybe I misunderstood her and she just thought, "I love Carly too!" But since you never have to question what Russo is thinking, maybe I'll just wait until you come out and you can figure it out for yourself.

    love you!

    ReplyDelete