Tuesday, February 15, 2011

They Weren't So Bad

If there is one thing that I truly despise more than anything in this world it is tomatoes.  Lame, huh? There are a lot of other better things that I could spend my time despising.  People find the fact that I hate tomatoes to be very interesting. Upon finding out I usually get that person's head tilted to the side with a "hmm...really? What do you mean?"  What  I mean is that I HATE tomatoes...and ketchup...and spaghetti sauce.  I like pizza, but I do order VERY light, almost non-existent sauce.  Believe me, this is not a fact about me that I like.  For as long as I can remember I have really desperately wanted to like tomatoes and all of those other foods that I listed that so many people love.

But guess what! This past weekend our good friends Jillian and TK had so over for dinner and a movie.  Jillian asked me if there was anything that Jake and I didn't like just to be sure that she didn't make anything that we wouldn't be excited about.  I told her that Jake would eat anything and that the only thing that I would prefer not to see was...can you guess?...that's right, tomatoes!

So the next day Jillian texted me and told me she was planning to make a really killer taco soup and just wanted to say that tomatoes are included but it isn't chunks of tomatoes would that be ok?  I was intrigued as I thought about my answer to that.  I love tacos!!!  Every night at my house would be taco night if Jake would let me get away with it.  Taco soup had to be similar to tacos right?  So I went along with it, and spent the rest of the afternoon excited about the taco part and psyching myself up for the tomato part.

The rest of the day flew by in a frenzy and before I knew it I was sitting in front of a plate of what smelled and looked like delicious soup.  I didn't give myself time to question or think about the tomatoes that were on my taco salad concoction I had put together and just took the first bite.  It was good.  It was really good.  Before I knew it I had seconds and wasn't thinking about a bit about the tomatoes.  I was very proud of myself in my head.  Inside I was telling those tomatoes to take that, I'm not scared of you anymore!  I'm not getting carried away though, I don't want anyone making me a tomato sandwich anytime soon but, you know what? Ever since dinner that night, I've actually been craving to have it again!

Who would've thought that tomatoes weren't actually that bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment